Friday, February 5, 2010

So hot...


With a blizzard headed toward some of you, I am sure it is the last thing you want to hear, but WOW is it hot here! "It is so hot today," seems to be the most used phrase in Brazil.  I have quickly learned that most of my wardrobe -- consisting of jeans and cardigans -- is wholly inappropriate for the Rio weather. I think it is at least 40C here, which is over 100F. But, it is a heat I welcome having come from winter, so I ventured out into the neighborhood yesterday! And I only got lost once...

The neighborhood where I am staying (Copacabana) is sort of bounded on three sides, all by water -- 2 beaches and a lake. I am told the best way to acclimate myself is to always remember on which side of you is the beach and which is the lake! 

I walked the length of the Copacabana beach and most of the Ipanema beach, and to say they are beautiful just wouldn't be enough. The water is a beautiful color, and the mountains rising up on the sides of the coast are impressive. From the beach you can see both the Pão de Açúcar (Sugar Loaf Mountain) and the Corcovado Mountain where the famous O Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) statue stands (I can't wait to go see this). Below are some pictures I took while out strolling, but I don't think they can do the beaches justice!

Copacabana beach looking left (still not quite sure on cardinal directions here, which is really impeding my learning the way around...)

Copa Cabana beach to the Right

Looking across Ipanema Beach (you can see the Corcovado in the background, though its small)


Not a beach, but this is Floppy (as in floppy disc...and, I would imagine, his general floppiness on the tile to stay cool) and I really love him so far! It is funny to hear the Brazilians speak to him because it is a string of Portuguese with the word "FLOPPY!" in there somewhere

So my first day was great, and I look forward to getting to know the city better and better. We are off to Buzios for the weekend, which is a beach town about 2-3 hours away. Have a good weekend and be safe if you are snowed in!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, it looks so beautiful there! I wish I could transport myself there with you. You should probably build a sand castle, right? Please give Floppy a nice pat on the head for me, he looks like a sweet little guy.

    ..And now I have "Copacabana" stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Floppy is a cutie. Is it a Schnauzer? Have a wonderful time this weekend! Can't wait to hear about that. Love, G'Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so amazing! Hope the language is starting to come easier, hehe. Can't wait to hear more about it :)

    ReplyDelete