Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Dish: Minas Gerais

I promise that I am continuously taking pictures of neat food that I am eating to post about it for you, but I am really forgetful. As a result, I have a backlog of these sorts of posts. I hope to get some of them up soon...and there is no better time to start than the present so here we go!

When I moved to São Paulo I went out to eat with Javier and his friend Luis Carlos to a restaurant that serves traditional food from Minas Gerais, a Brazilian state. The only thing I knew about Minas Gerais was the Minas Cheese that I like putting on sandwiches!

My love of the cheese should have tipped me off, because Mineiran food is great! It is sort of best described as farm-style cooking. Real comfort food, for sure. Here is the bad part, I mostly forget the names of everything we ate. Oops! But I have pictures.

We had rice and some sort of bean puree with sausage in it. Mmmm sausage and black beans = :). We also had bisteca de porco and couve Mineira (which was kale and really tasty). And then there was also fried pork fat, which I was not a big fan of!

Maybe it was the restaurant overall, but Mineiran food gave me the feeling of a big family-style meal on a farm, albeit a Brazilian farm!

Felipe and the patio area of the restaurant. The place was really beautiful but sort of tucked away off the street. I don't think I would have recognized it to be a great restaurant had I just been walking by. There is also another little patio area on the other side (so opposite this one).

The food...well, some of it!

The interior. I wish I had a better shot of it. I think I felt really "farmy" about the place because it looked really "farmy" (tables, art, walls, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment